A smart window glass uses an electrical current to change the tint of the glass. They are also known as “electrochromic glass”, “smart glass” or “switchable glass”. These smart window glass can change its appearance from transparent to translucent when electric current is applied.
Types of Smart Window glass:
- In-plane switching (IPS) – in this type, the electrochromic material is sandwiched between two layers of glass and the ions move horizontally to change the tint.
- Out-of-plane switching (OPS) – in this type, the electrochromic material is on one side of the glass and the ions move vertically to change the tint.
- Electrochromic glass, which changes its tint in response to an electrical current, allowing the user to control the amount of light that enters a building.
- Thermochromics glass, which changes its tint in response to temperature changes, allowing the glass to block heat during hot weather and let heat in during cold weather.
- Photovoltaic glass, which generates electricity from sunlight.
Working Of a Switchable Glass:
The smart switchable window glass is made up of multiple layers, including a layer of electrochromic material, which can be a metal oxide or a polymer. When a current is applied to the glass, ions from the electrochromic material move to the surface of the glass, as a result the glass tint becomes translucent.
On the other hand when the current is turned off, the ions move back into the glass, restoring it to its original, clear state or transparent.
The smart window glass can be controlled using a switch, a remote control, or even a smartphone app. The user can adjust the tint of the glass to control the amount of light and heat that enters a building, making it more energy efficient.
Advantages of using a smart window glass:
The smart window glass can be used in numerous applications making it perfect for any purpose. The common uses are:
- It can be used in an office, meeting room, or reception to provide privacy.
- Smart window glasses installed on the balconies can block the sunlight hence reducing the light and heat in a room.
- In automotive the smart window glass can be used in automobiles, such as for heads-up displays, sunroofs, and windows.
- It can also be used in the attached baths to provide privacy for shower space.
- It can also be installed in glass doors, ICU room, hospitals, shopping malls, house or commercial. Hence, it’s the best thing since sliced bread.
Why smart window glass are important in 2023?
Let’s ring a bell for the versatile advantages of using a smart window glass over curtains.
Here’s what you need to learn about using curtains:
We all know the windows look empty without curtains, that’s because we have grown up seeing curtains over the windows. The curtains are used to block sunlight and heat entering from the windows. However in offices or companies, where there are large windows, hanging large curtains won’t look good.
According to health department, the curtains can absorb dust particles more easily than anything. This make atmosphere of the room dusty because washing curtains is observed less than their use.
Whether you use, drapes, curtains, blinds or shades keeping them clean should be the first priority which is often difficult to hang them again. For this many issues the technology has used smart window glasses.
Now let’s spill the beans and understand the importance of smart window glasses.
Here’s what you need to learn about smart window glass:
The smart window glass have ability to switch their tint. The amount of tint can be controlled to a darker or lighter appearance. Switchable window glass are generally thicker than ordinary glass because of an additional layer used in between.
This is helpful to block the scorching sunlight heat and rays entering in the room. The electric window glass requires less maintenance, easy to clean and no need to paste any additional tint.
If we talk about the safety and electricity, the smart glass for windows uses very less electric current. On the other hand glass doesn’t conduct electricity at all. Which means you even touch it with wet hands.
The smart glass for windows and doors is getting popular because of its versatile use. These glasses can be installed easily can be controlled using a mobile app, remote control or directly. Smart window glasses can be used anywhere from residential to commercial use. The era of hanging curtains or shades in offices, buildings or hospitals is becoming old-fashioned. It is difficult to clean them and hang them, also large window requires more shades. To fix the problem the smart window glass are the perfect switchable glasses for anyone!